Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Jitterin' Jinn -- SINKY-YORK

 

The rockabilly pop group from Nara, Jitterin' Jinn, had their October 1989 debut single in the form of "Everyday". It was also my first encounter with the group during my days on the JET Programme and vocalist Reiko Harukawa(春川玲子)and the gang were among the first to illustrate to me that Japanese pop music had definitely changed since my previous visit to Japan with all of those frilly-dressed aidoru and Yellow Magic Orchestra. They struck me as being unique and eclectic.

What I forgot to mention in the article for "Everyday", which I wrote up in the spring of 2013, is that it was an immediate winner on Oricon by coming in at No. 9, although I also stated that Jitterin' Jinn's first album, "DOKIDOKI", with the song had peaked at No. 5 on the album charts. Regardless, it was quite the auspicious start for the band.

Of course, "Everyday" had its B-side or coupling song and that was the oddly-named "SINKY-YORK". Created by Jitterin' Jinn guitarist Jinta Hashi(破矢ジンタ), it's another catchy tune done in the inimitable band style with the rockabilly twang paired with Harukawa's adorably high-and-clear vocals. Just like "Everybody", "SINKY-YORK" is a bittersweet tune about a past romance that may have ended a tad too early. I didn't know about the music video but it's always nice seeing the main vocalist in that smart outfit topped off with the tartan cap.

The above is from a 2000 concert performance in Osaka according to Jitterin' Jinn's own YouTube channel, and Harukawa was looking a little more punk and less mod here.

Now, as for the origins of the name "SINKY-YORK", I was able to track down some commentary on a Japanese blog. The author, Yama, doesn't frame his explanation as totally definitive, but he states that "SINKY-YORK" is a romaji twist on the Japanese shin kyoku(新曲)or new song. My take on it: Hey, why not? It was definitely fresh back then and it still sounds and feels just fine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.