Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Cheuni/Masato Sugimoto -- Ichijikan dake no Christmas Eve(一時間だけのクリスマス・イヴ)

 

Well, I've got most of the cards out and I've got some that have come in. One card that I received yesterday was from my old English circle that I taught on Tuesday mornings. It had been several years since hearing from them, so I'm glad that they're all well. They're still learning the language, too. Hopefully, I'll get a card off to them tomorrow and maybe it'll get there by Xmas.

I found this slightly unusual song by Cheuni(チェウニ)in that it's not only a Christmas song but one that isn't in her usual wheelhouse of contemporary Mood Kayo. Titled "Ichijikan dake no Christmas Eve" (Christmas Eve for Just One Hour), this was the coupling song for her 21st single "Minato no Serenade"(港のセレナーデ...Harbour Serenade) from November 2012.

Written by Kyoko Asahina(朝比奈京子)and composed by Masato Sugimoto(杉本眞人)who has often created the melodies in Cheuni's discography, the lyrics give off the impression that the December 24th date here involves a couple of a certain older age: possibly less than a romantic couple but certainly more than friends. Anyways, since they can't afford to catch a cold, the apartment block mates are probably going to briefly share some coffee at the nearby café in the neighbourhood. The other interesting thing is that the melody is more reminiscent of American 50s or 60s pop or even doo-wop; that intro especially reminded me of The Cascades' "Rhythm of the Rain" from 1962. Even the background chorus had me thinking of a certain 70s love song for which I can't quite remember the title.

The thing is that Cheuni's song is a cover of Sugimoto's own creation that he recorded for his 6th album "Heartful & Soulful" back in September 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.