Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Kaoru Akimoto & All Stars -- Summertime

 

Now, before all of you City Pop or Vaporwave fans begin pelting me with exclamations like "Wait! I thought J-Canuck usually did his urban contemporary stuff on Fridays.", and that is indeed true. If I were indeed talking about Kaoru Akimoto(秋元薫)of "Dress Down" fame, I would most likely put her up on TGIF (although of course, I have broken that prime directive many a time).

The crazy thing is that tonight I'm writing about the tenor saxophonist Kaoru Akimoto and his All Stars(秋本薫とオールスターズ), not the City Pop chanteuse. Luckily though, they have one kanji different in their respective names if you look carefully enough. Regrettably though, there is very little information about Akimoto the saxophonist, and I only found out about him through Scott's "Holly Jolly X'masu" podcast for which he devoted that October 2022 episode to his "Tenor Sax Mood White Christmas" from 1968. Scott will be able to let you know more about him.

Although I couldn't find any track or album concerning "Tenor Sax Mood White Christmas", I did find this lone YouTube video by uploader Sportin' Life featuring a very nocturnal and pensive version of "Summertime" originally by George Gershwin. Gimme another whiskey NOW! This particular take on the song can be found on Akimoto's 1966 album "You And The Night And The Tenor Sax Mood".

In Labels, I've put in the whole name for Akimoto and his band (along with genre) to distinguish the saxophonist from the City Pop singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.