Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Shonentai -- Kimi Dake ni (君だけに)


Man, we've just reached 4 years since "Kayo Kyoku Plus" had its first article published. My intent was never to write about every single song that has ever been written in the history of kayo kyoku and J-Pop but every time I reach an anniversary, I'm still surprised at the songs that are still out there.

So why not commemorate this article (No. 2934) by basing it on an old 80s tune since this was the decade for my awakening to the wacky and wonderful world of music? I'm going with "Kimi Dake ni" (Only For You) by the aidoru trio Shonentai(少年隊)since this was a song that I saw performed numerous times on the various video tapes of "The Best 10" back when we were all enjoying our VHS on VCR.

Released in June 1987, this was Noriyuki Higashiyama(東山紀之)and Co.'s 6th single and their first bona fide love ballad as a single. Yep, as I usually remembered the group just bopping all over the place with their high-energy material, to see these guys moving in relatively slower motion while channeling the music of crooners was a bit of a revelation. Supposedly the finger-snapping at the beginning of the performance became one of the symbols of the ballad. I'm sure a lot of junior high school girls were getting all googly and gushy at the guys.


Also, the intro to Kyohei Tsutsumi's(筒美京平)melody just reminded me of an old soul song from the 1970's (I think it could have been "Reunited") before it returned to the usual aidoru ballad. Chinfa Kan(康珍化)who wrote the lyrics to a number of Omega Tribe and Anri(杏里)songs was also responsible for the words for "Kimi Dake ni". The ballad turned out to become Shonentai's 2nd-most successful single after their debut, "Kamen Butokai"(仮面舞踏会)from 1985 as it hit No. 1 and became the 10th-ranked song for 1987. It also earned the group a Gold Prize and a Best Artist Prize at the Japan Record Awards that year as well as an invitation to the Kohaku Utagassen.

And for the folks at home, here is the link to my very first article on KKP. Just heard it again last week on the latest episode of "Kayo Concert".

Just for you....a butter tart

2 comments:

  1. I love this song so much! If you're like me, you may wanna check TOKIO's cover of this song. Nagase's voice doesn't have the same body as Nishikiori's, but the arrangement is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup,i love this song even TOKIO'S cover. Both....just love it!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.