Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Toni Basil -- Mickey

 

On this week's Reminiscings of Youth series, I'm touching base with one of the touchstones of my view on New Wave and music video in the 1980s. Interesting thing though...I've already made reference to it. Back in the pre-ROY days of 2016 on the blog, I wrote about Gorie's(ゴリエ)cover of "Mickey" and of course, I mentioned the source song by Toni Basil.

Yes, that's right...Toni Basil's "Mickey" from January 1982. That video for the song really struck out at me with Toni as a heavily made-up cheerleader stoically but frantically dancing all around a stark stage with her team as she sang this New Wave serenade to the title guy. Supposedly, the guy was Micky Dolenz of The Monkees but Basil has denied this. Anyways, the song created by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn must have been a radio station's dream: eclectic but approachable, weird but fun, New Wave but pop-catchy. 

"Mickey" has been one of the tentpoles for my education in music video music, alongside The Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star" and Kim Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes". And once again, just like those songs, I have discovered that Basil's magnum opus "Mickey" once had an earlier life. It used to be known as "Kitty" by the New Wave band Racey back in 1979. Well, hello "Kitty". 😻


Not sure when the above footage was taped, but apparently the powers-that-be plus Basil must have gotten a good rate on that empty white stage. In any case, those lyrics by Chapman and Chinn will always have a place in my memory:

Oh Mickey, you're so fine

You're so fine, you blow my mind

Hey Mickey, hey Mickey

Hey, it ended up in a "Doctor Who" episode as said by one of my favourite iterations of the dastardly Master. "Mickey" hit No. 1 in both Canada and the United States.

So, when "Mickey" was blowing everyone's mind, which singles were popping out in Japan in January 1982? Geez, has it already been 42 years?!

Seiko Matsuda -- Akai Sweet Pea (赤いスイートピー)


Southern All Stars -- Chako no Kaigan Monogatari (チャコの海岸物語)


Tatsuro Yamashita -- For You (album)

1 comment:

  1. I remember 'Hey Mickey' both from my childhood in the 1980s, and when Miki Ando used the song as a BGM for one of her early skating performances.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.