Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, February 10, 2024

LAUSBUB -- Wind City

 

Happy weekend! The above is a shot I took inside of Omotesando Hills in Tokyo. I never got claustrophobia while inside the shopping mall but from this picture, perhaps I should have?

Back in 2022, I posted up an article for the song "Telefon" by the Hokkaido technopop duo LAUSBUB. Riko Iwai(岩井莉子)and Mei Takahashi(高橋芽以)caught my attention as they were still in high school when they began walking down the path that past groups such as Yellow Magic Orchestra and POLYSICS had. I was wondering how they were doing over the past few years.

Well, LAUSBUB continued putting out the songs including this single called "Wind City" which was released in October 2022, just a month before my posting for "Telefon". By that point, the high school appearances were gone with Iwai and Takahashi looking very shakaijin and avant-garde at the same time in the music video. The former took care of words and music while the latter was responsible for the vocals delivered in a dreamy and halting way. The song seems to be people-watching in a still new metropolitan environment while somewhere between a waking and dozing state. Perhaps the surrounding skyscrapers and floods of humanity are intimidating but the protagonist is trying to make sense and connections out of all of it.

I haven't read of any activity of the duo since 2022 so I'm not sure if they are taking a break right now. Hope that the two will continue with their work.

2 comments:

  1. I loved visiting and exploring the shopping malls in Tokyo-to. Because I lived in Kawasaki I could get to Yokohama pretty quickly. I often spent time at the Yokohama landmark plaza. You will never get claustrophobia at the Landmark plaza because it is just so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been to Landmark Plaza in Yokohama a few times and it's very spacious. On the other hand, Omotesando Hills was fairly narrow though tall and extending down deep and up high.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.