Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Kenji Ozawa -- Tenki Yomi(天気読み)

 

I've said this from time to time because I do have the penchant to talk about the weather in my hometown. Toronto is predictably unpredictable, meteorologically speaking. Probably meteorologists around the world would love to come here for a spell. And today is one of the best days since this morning we began with a +14 C high but the temperature will be plummeting like an anvil in a Warner Bros. cartoon for a wind chill factor of -12 C! On top of that, we've had some sun, some cloud, some rain and later on, we'll most likely get some snow. All I can say is that maybe we're getting the weather version of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Well, I figure that perhaps I can put up a J-Pop tune or kayo on the weather. It took me a bit but I did find singer-songwriter Kenji Ozawa's(小沢健二)solo debut single following the breakup of the Shibuya-kei duo Flipper's Guitar(フリッパーズ・ギター). Titled "Tenki Yomi" (Reading/Gauging the Weather), this was released in July 1993, this was written and composed by Ozawa.

Described in the J-Wiki article for "Tenki Yomi" as a rock number, I would actually go with something like a mixture rock song. Weaning himself off of his Shibuya-kei roots, I believe the song still has some of that Shibuya-kei groove combined with a bit of jazz and straight pop. Lyrically, it doesn't have anything to do with climactic conditions, but it is about a man's dealings with some existentially stormy weather in his romance life although it appears that there is a break in the clouds by the end with a ray of welcome light piercing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.