Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Tadaharu Nakano -- Tanoshiki Kissaten (楽しき喫茶店)

Honoka ni yume wo oi nagara (Chasing a dream so faint)
Itsuka kohi no sameru no mo (I didn't even realise)
Shirazu ni sugosu boku datta (When my coffee's gone cold)

Everyone likes a good cafe, right? I know I do. It's where I can enjoy coffee as a wonderful drink and not as a necessary drug to keep myself from turning into a walking corpse. Of course, I have to pair it with a cute and tasty dessert. Then I'll immerse myself in a book or a school project and forget that the outside world exists until I notice more than 2 hours have passed. Often times, my coffee gets cold, but it only makes for a better drinking experience. I sound like a coffee aficionado, but believe me, I'm far from it. I just have a (not so) healthy addiction to the caffeinated bean water.

I think Japan has an immense number of cafes of a wide variety. You got your retro kissatens where you can smell the Showa era, the chic and minimalist outlets with your fancy Cold brews, and cozy alcoves that feels like you've entered someone's house. Some may even have a gramophone(s) where you can enjoy records from the bygone days with your cuppa joe. I've been to all the above with a particular preference for the record and cozy type. If it's got a nice Showa atmosphere, even better.

I'm not very familiar with cafe culture in the early Showa era, but those in Ginza, especially, were probably the epitome of modern and where you wanted to be seen in. There were certainly the more low-key kissatens that incur less stress as well. Where ever it may be, these coffee joints were usually fashionable spots (just like now, really) with that fancy Western coffee and gramophones where you could listen to the latest hits and pretend the world's not in an absolute state (just like now, really). As you'd expect, there were many coffee and cafe-related ryukoka that reflect this image, and who better to sing these than the man who oozes early Showa modernism, Tadaharu Nakano (中野忠晴).

 From コロンビア月報(邦楽)1940(昭和15年)
National Diet Library archives

One of the very first songs I recognized singer Mr. Nakano for was one such song aptly titled, "Chiisana Kissaten" (小さな喫茶店... The Little Coffee Shop), an originally German tune that relays sweet memories of a date at a little cafe (at least, in the Japanese lyrics). A few years later, he would release another kissaten song with a similar tango flavour, "Tanoshiki Kissaten" (The Delightful Coffee Shop). I actually like the latter a lot more and it's one of my Nakano favourites. This is due in part to Toshio Nomura's (野村俊夫) words. Unlike "Chiisana Kissaten," "Tanoshiki..." features our main character deriving joy in dropping by his favourite coffee shop in the evening after a long day or after a walk. He relaxes with a coffee and a smoke, and revels in his own daydreams while listening to some music in the background. The mellow, light-hearted melody by *ahem* Haruo Kashiwagi (柏木晴夫) and Mr. Nakano's ordinarily powerful and resonant baritone turning into a soft lilt matches this more subdued vibe. Perhaps something like that is wafting out of the cafe's gramophone. The bottom photo was the ad for "Tanoshiki Kissaten" from the Columbia Records monthly magazine from February 1940, and it describes this tune as having a sentimental and urban atmosphere. Can't argue with that. 

Also, "Haruo Kashiwagi" was actually one of Mr. Nakano's pen names. Considering he was both a singer and songwriter/director in a time when both roles do not mix and the latter was usually the one who calls the shots, I conclude that he was actually quite a powerful artist within the company.

 From コロンビア月報(邦楽)1940(昭和15年)
National Diet Library archives

Anyways, I don't smoke and I can't have coffee after 3pm if I want to sleep, but as someone who enjoys solo cafe time, "Tanoshiki Kissaten" actually encompasses my state of mind when I drop by a comfy cafe. One of these cafes is this underground (literally) joint called Cafe Ataraxia (かふぇあたらくしあ) in a side street of Jimbocho. It's a modern-looking record cafe with a hint of retro that has a Credenza gramophone and a Syrena gramophone, both older than my late grandfather. The walls are lined with shelves chockful of vinyls and the furniture is a hodge-podge of cute antiques. If you're a fan of classical music, I highly recommend it as chic Master Kubota will always be playing his selection on a turn table. I believe you can make requests, but only if you ask nicely and in advance. As for the coffee, the beans are on constant rotation and they all pack a punch. Then we've got aesthetically pleasing desserts which I'm guessing are made in-house - they look like they are. I first came across Ataraxia when I went for a my first record appreciation event late last year and I've since fell in love with its calm atmosphere, coffee and sweets. Now, I drop by every now and then. It truly is the tanoshiki kissaten. Here's the cafe's website (it's in Japanese) if you'd like to check it out if you're in Tokyo.


I naturally grew a year older while deliberately cutting
my life expectancy short with this visit last December.
That chocolate cake made it worthwhile.



Would I call Mr. Nakano an early Showa "Modern Boy" (Mo-bo)? I mean, technically, yes, he more than fits the bill, but it feels really wrong to me for some reason. Hai-Katsu is the quintessential mo-bo for sure, but Mr. Nakano feels different. He feels more like a... Jazz Dadd- NO, NO, NO - intrusive thoughts OUT... I will explain that in due time...

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Noelle. It's deliciously ironic that you put up this article where you describe the café culture in Japan. I'm supposed to be meeting up with Larry later tonight for dinner, although we've got some heavy snow coming during the afternoon and I've been searching for some cafes in the area around the restaurant to hang out in before the reservation. Not easy to do in that neighbourhood.

    One of the many things that I miss about my life in Tokyo was the plethora of coffee houses there and a lot of them are not coloured in green and white. The mom-and-pop shops always have a good amount of style and probably the prices to match, but the drink, food and ambience were well worth it. I'm not surprised that Nakano would sing the praises of dropping by his own coffee joint.

    Mobo and Moga are terms that I haven't heard in a long time, maybe since university days, although I know that one Hiromi Iwasaki song refers to the terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck.
      I just saw Larry's Instagram update and it looks really snowy over in Toronto already. Hopefully you guys found some shop for refuge. Speaking of snow, I think you know about it, but Tokyo experienced a ton of snow last week. There was so much snow that the my campus field became the biggest playground for 2 days.

      Anyways, funny you mention the green and white coffee shop, I think their grip on the Greater Tokyo area has gotten stronger. When it's become a norm for train stations to have 2 Starbucks outlets within 100 meters from each other, you know there's a problem. I enjoy my frappuccinos, but I'm glad little mom-and-pop joints and new modern outlets are surviving so I can get some good eats and coffee.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Noelle. We did get the snow but it wasn't as bad as had first been feared. None of the blizzard conditions came to pass tonight. It took me twice as long to get downtown but I was still able to meet Larry on time at the yakitori place.

      Toronto weather has been the reverse of Tokyo weather. We were very balmy last week and then this week, it was a straight dive back into winter. I've been hearing that Tokyo has hit 20 degrees over the past few days.

      I don't mind Starbucks (and even Komeda Coffee) for the dependability factor but I really appreciate the independent smaller cafes for the atmosphere and the knowledge that the owners love their coffee.

      Delete
    3. Glad that the snow wasn't too bad, and hope you guys had a good dinner.

      Yup, it's jumped to spring weather and I've been able to survive with a cardigan or a light jacket for the past couple of days. The weather has gone bonkers.

      Komeda Coffee is the go-to spot for after dinner desserts for me and a friend - we were actually there just yesterday evening, haha! Really love that Shiro Noir thing. Then again, you can't go wrong with ice cream on a danish with chocolate sauce.

      Delete
    4. I was definitely showing my age last night at dinner. I could only handle the one round of yakitori and a couple of more small dishes before I decided that was all for dinner for me. A couple of decades ago, two or three rounds were more my speed.

      I think the Shiro Noir has been the only item that I've had at Komeda Coffee. I heard that they also serve the Nagoya style of a continental breakfast but that sounds a little sparse for me.

      Delete
    5. I've never actually had the Komeda breakfast before, but it does look sort of wanting. So I think I'll still with the desserts, sandwiches, and fried chicken bits... This is making me want to go back there again.

      Delete
  2. Nice post Noelle! Japan does have a lot of 喫茶店 but it seems to me that term 喫茶店 has been kind of replaced by カフェ in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian, and thanks as always for the comments.
      Yeah, 喫茶店 seems to now only be used in reference to a Showa era relic of a joint. It gives off a nice nostalgic vibe but, admittedly, カフェ is a lot easier to say.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.