Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, February 8, 2024

Jamiroquai -- Canned Heat

 

Happy Thursday and welcome to another Reminiscings of Youth (or in this case, thirtysomething) for this week as I write about some of the non-Japanese songs that I enjoyed in my younger days. 

It was a few years ago when I posted "Virtual Insanity" by Jamiroquai, a group, as I mentioned in that article, that had been first introduced to me by a student in the Voice Room of my NOVA branch in Asakusa. Took me a couple of tries to comprehend who she identified at first. But I did finally get to see and hear Jay Kay's cool and soulful delivery of the 1996 hit song with his video of smooth steps and mobile furniture.

Another few years would pass by and then just in time for all of that Y2K stuff and turn-of-the-century fear and excitement, we would get "Canned Heat", Jamiroquai's single from May 1999. Now, I do love my "Virtual Insanity", but this song that has been categorized as nu-disco on Wikipedia is also another supremely infectious banger of a tune. Plus its video is incredible as well (flying over red carpeting? Amazing!). "Canned Heat" could actually get me to dance off my seat again after so many years, but since I like to be kind to sighted people and the floor's structural integrity, I'll refrain. However, I was convinced that the music of my youth and childhood could return over and over again.

According to that Wikipedia article, "Canned Heat" hit the dance club charts at No. 1 on America's Billboard while in Canada, it peaked at No. 7 on RPM's Dance/Urban charts. 

Well, what was also coming out in May 1999 according to the good folks at straw-wara?

Morning Musume -- Manatsu no Kousen (真夏の光線)


Miki Imai -- Sleep My Dear


Kinki Kids -- Flower (フラワー)

1 comment:

  1. It's iconic song time, again! The Kiki Kids, Miki Imai, and MM! I had forgotten how often the Kiki Kids' 'Hana was on replay on the radio and Miki Imai's "Pride", too. "sleep my dear" is also great easy listening music with a beat!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.