Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 5, 2024

Takako Shirai -- Someday

 

I've only mentioned this once or twice before so perhaps you the reader may not have noticed it, but for the past few years, I've been keeping tabs on the Labels (on the right side) specifically in the Years section right at the top. There's been a dogged horse race among the years of 1981, 1982 and 1983 nearing 500 and I can now say that this 1982 article has now hit number 500...indeed, this is the 500th article for the year 1982 and therefore it's currently the year with the most number of articles on the blog. It was quite the prolific year and my congratulations to the year (I don't think I've used the word "year" in this much in a paragraph before).

The auspiciousness of the occasion is all due to Takako Shirai's(白井貴子)"Someday" and after listening to it, if the melody does sound familiar to you, then you must also be a Motoharu Sano(佐野元春)fan. This is the cover of Sano's famous song that I covered when I posted the article for his May 1982 album of the same name all the way back in April 2015. Shirai's cover came out as her 4th single in August of that year with it being included in her 2nd album, "I LOVE Love" which was released later in October.

Back in the Sano article for the album, I noted that his "Someday" had that feeling of an American rock anthem. Shirai's version sounds somewhat softer even with the punchy percussion and there's a bit more of a breezy kayo lilt in there. Both versions are great.

Again, many congratulations to the year 1982. The Noritake dish set is on it way.🍽

1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of Motoharu Sano! I miss hearing the car horn and the 1960's feel of the original 1982 version, however Takako Shirai's version is a fresh take on a song I am fond of.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.