Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, February 4, 2024

Chiyuki Asami -- Tasogare Cinema(黄昏シネマ)

 

The above is a theatre near the Toei Animation Museum in Nerima Ward, Tokyo. My friend and I visited the museum in 2014 although we didn't actually see a flick at the T-Joy. As someone who's been catching movies for decades, a multi-year move to Japan didn't change my habits for the most part and so I continued to see the Hollywood blockbusters in Tokyo. I think in the last half of my stay in Ichikawa, I noticed that theatres were getting more advanced up to the level of VIP versions which I've gotten spoiled on. But before then, a number of the movie houses had been darn old with seats small enough that at one point, I was virtually wearing them like a diaper...yes, let's not imagine that, shall we? I don't think red velour is that absorbent anyways.

It's those old places of Ginza, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro that I used to frequent that get the spotlight in Chiyuki Asami's(あさみちゆき)"Tasogare Cinema" (Sunset Cinema). I first wrote about the Yamaguchi Prefecture native in November 2023 regarding her 2004 song "Inokashira-sen"(井の頭線), and noted how her choice of music settled in that middle ground known as New Adult Music between folk and enka.

"Tasogare Cinema" was released as her 10th single in April 2010 and it's a poignant ballad about a woman returning to a neighbourhood for the first time in a decade where she and her ex-boyfriend used to hang out. An old theatre there was one of their haunts and she goes inside noting that her old flame is probably now still living in the neighbourhood with his current girlfriend or wife. Written by Mami Takubo(田久保真見)and composed by Masato Sugimoto(杉本眞人), there is very much a "que sera sera" feeling in the song as if the woman has moved on with her life but still wants to remember old times. The single peaked at No. 40 on Oricon.

"Tasogare Cinema" also appeared in an earlier version as a track on Asami's 2nd album from June 2005 "Asami no Uta II"(あさみのうたII...Asami's Songs II). The original version has an even more elegiac feeling with that orchestra backing the singer up. On the other hand, the later 2010 single feels more along the lines of some of the power ballads from the 1970s and maybe early 1980s such as Michael Johnson's "Bluer Than Blue" and Saburo Tokito's(時任三郎)"Kawa no Nagare wo Daite Nemuritai" (川の流れを抱いて眠りたい).

1 comment:

  1. These types of sentimental songs are very relatable! I do not have any EXs, but I have moved on with my life and often think of my life late 70's, 1980's and early 1990's when I listen to great music on this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.