Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Amaiwana -- I'm Crazy

 

When my brother and I were kids and our birthdays came around, it was the usual tradition to get birthday cakes from the local supermarket. They were the ones spackled with the blanket of thick white icing with blue or pink writing and those rosebuds to finish things off. In a way, those cakes almost finished us off since they were so supremely sweet that our teeth vibrated when we ate a slice and we were bouncing off the walls once the sugar officially hit our system. 

Seeing Amaiwana(アマイワナ)make that cake in her music video for the song "I'm Crazy" reminded me of those birthday cakes, and yeah, I guess in retrospect, I was crazy for liking those. I'm more of a plain apple pie guy now.

Anyways, up to now, I've been covering the relatively more recent Amaiwana outings when she was collaborating with Neo-City Pop or synthy 80s singer-songwriter Ginger Root for "Loneliness". "I'm Crazy" actually hails to the earliest point in her career that I've written about so far, although it's only back to 2022. From her October 2022 mini-album, "Baby Bedroom Punk"(ベイビィ・ベッドルーム・パンク), the song starts off with a percussive pounding that made me wonder whether Amaiwana was going Art of Noise on me but then the rest of the song opts for something more down-to-earth funky synthpop. Written by the singer and composed by Atsumu Wonderful(アツムワンダフル), "I'm Crazy" is about one woman's stream-of-consciousness and then sung opinions of what she thinks is society's unfair attitude towards things that she believes are perfectly fine and sane. The lady admits that she's on the borderline between her like for all things sentimental but also for that dangerous music. With the bouncy synth melody and the lyrics, I guess that's what it means to be baby bedroom punk.

For the record (no pun intended), I don't think Amaiwana is crazy at all...just an 80s lady in her 20s in the 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.