Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Chocolate Lips -- Weekend Lover


Nice song to write about since it is indeed a Friday (the 13th). Marcos V.'s mention of Miho Fujiwara(藤原美穂)in his article "Marcos V.’s Special Selection Vol. II" recently reminded me that the lady was once the vocalist for the J-Funk band Chocolate Lips back in the 1980s.


Yup, I really ought to track their album "Chocolate Lips" down. I found another track from their 1984 record, and though it isn't quite as catchy as "Day Dreamin'", the first song that I discovered by the band, "Weekend Lover" is still a nice piece of tight funk. And I think Fujiwara is one of those underrated singers of the genre. I do love that beat and the saxophone plus the keyboard sure sound sweet.

It's when I listen to the old-school R&B that I start appreciating some of the music that Bruno Mars has been introducing or re-introducing in recent years. Wouldn't mind a call back to the more soulful brand of the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.