Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Miki Imai -- Futari de Splash(ふたりでスプラッシュ)


To be honest, I had considered "Futari de Splash" (Splashing Together), which I first heard on Miki Imai's(今井美樹)first BEST compilation "Ivory", to not be one of the biggest highlights of the album. It just seemed a bit too light (along the lines of unsalted butter which shouldn't be allowed to exist, at least for tasting purposes) for me without any melodic hooks.


The song was originally included in Imai's 2nd album "Elfin" which came out in September 1987. I guess time and nostalgia have smoothed out the rough attitude that I'd had for the song since I accept it much better now although Imai has even better songs out there. Moreover, "Futari de Splash" fits in with that light voice of Imai from her early days; she sounds quite ethereal here.

Written by Masami Tozawa(戸沢暢美)and composed by Satoshi Takebe(武部聡志), the synths are very natsukashii and not reminiscent of technopop at all. In fact, the overall melody by Takebe hints at something more Smooth Jazz. Tozawa touches upon that well-burnished trope of romance: the couple hitting the sea and playfully splashing at each other. Of course, considering that I have a snarky streak within me, whenever I see that sort of scene on TV, I rather wish a shark or a sudden huge wave consumes the two.

As for "Elfin", it peaked at No. 5 on Oricon.

2 comments:

  1. I rather wish a shark or a sudden huge wave consumes the two
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my opinion really hasn't changed there.:)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.