Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Junko Yagami -- Lonely Girl


Being the long-time Junko Yagami(八神純子)fan, I have to admit that I had never heard of this gem by her until recently. I was just doing the usual scrolling through YouTube when I discovered "Lonely Girl" there one day.

Never released as an official single, this was the title track from Yagami's 5th original album released in February 1983. Yagami provided the lyrics while Ichizo Seo(瀬尾一三)came up with the lovely melody. As usual, the singer-songwriter comes up with a wonderful delivery but I was even more drawn to Seo's music since it sounds like something that would have been composed more in the late 70s. In fact, I wonder if an English translation would have been an ideal song for Olivia Newton-John to have covered back in her disco period.

The album itself also contains "Love Supreme", the ballad that Junko recorded for the anime motion picture "Final Yamato", and I've also heard the bouncy City Pop second track "Yozora no Earring"(夜空のイヤリング...Night Sky Earring), so now I'm now considering whether to plunk down the yen to put this disc into my collection.


4 comments:

  1. My first Junko Yagami album and favourite! I own "Lonely Girl" on vinyl and I want to buy all her records someday.
    LONELY GIRL>夢みる頃を過ぎても>FULL MOON>素顔の私

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Frankie TV.

      Consider yourself lucky with "Lonely Girl". It's awfully hard to find these days. Some really nice tracks on that one.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! Do you have a favourite album of hers?

      Delete
    3. Hi again. For me, "Full Moon" from December 1983 is probably my favourite so far.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.