Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Gawr Gura -- Magic Ways

 

It was in the middle of last month that I brought in a couple of VTubers, Houshou Marine(宝鐘マリン)& Gawr Gura(がうる・ぐら), and their original Neo-City Pop song "SHINKIRO". I've never gotten into the whole virtual YouTuber phenomenon, but hey, I have to admit that the City Pop was the hook for me. Plus the article led indirectly to the introduction of KKP AI representative Kayo Grace Kyoku.

So I guess due to the number of times that I've seen and listened to "SHINKIRO" in recent weeks, I've also been getting my fair share of recommended YouTube videos for these VTubers doing their own karaoke. Therefore, just to add to the Gawr Gura file at least, I've done a follow-up on Tatsuro Yamashita's(山下達郎)fun and footloose and fancy-free "Magic Ways" from 1984 with Gura herself taking the vocal reins. Not sure whether VTubers' favourite shark has officially given a recording of "Magic Ways" onto CD or digital, but she does a great job with the song, even injecting a bit more soul into the proceedings. The year by the way is just when the YouTube video was posted.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm not sure if you were aware or not but guitarist Taka from the rock band Pink Sapphire sadly passed away last week. Here's the news:

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=848339507303125&set=a.448799377257142&type=3&locale=en_GB&paipv=0&eav=Afb4eEtMu7uRcV-Jontm4E8cWO9YgA-L6tUNUr1m4b2CO9WfAbWbDkpUEaT2pMuYQSs&_rdr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for letting me know. Pink Sapphire was one of my tentpoles for music back in my first stint as an English teacher in Japan. I've posted up an article in tribute: https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2023/12/pink-sapphire-go-banme-no-kisetsu5.html

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.