Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Anzen Chitai 安全地帯 - Tsuki ni Nureta Futari 月に濡れた二人



Last Saturday, my high school classmates in Hong Kong organized a 30th anniversary reunion at our alma mata, inviting all memebers of class 1988 as well as our teachers, some of whom are already retired.  There were more than 100 people (out of a total of around 200 members, I think).  It is very nostalgic when I saw the pictures.  Since I’m in the US, I was not able to join.  I wish I could.  I know a couple of friends who are living overseas but happened to be in Hong Kong at that time, and they were able to attend this memorable event.

It brought back a lot of fond memories.  For some reason, this was the song that came immediately to my mind for the year 1988.  Technically, it was 1989 when I first listened to this song.  Interestingly, I didn’t even know that this song was a Japanese song at that time.  I was listening to Hong Kong singer Hacken Lee’s (李克勤) cover version Blue Moon (藍月亮).  It was only later that I discovered the origin of the song.  Coincidentally, Hacken Lee also graduated from the same high school as mine and he’s 3 classes above me.  If you’re interested in his cover version, here’s a YouTube link https://youtu.be/Bu4In62eEQE

Tsuki ni Nureta Futari was first released in Anzen Chitai’s 17th single in 1988, and later released in their album Anzen Chitai 6 (安全地帯VI).  The song was composed by Anzen Chitai’s soul and vocalist Tamaki Kouji (玉置浩二), and Matsui Goro (松井五郎), who often collaborated with Tamaki, was responsible for its lyrics.

Like a lot of Japanese lyrics, it shows a piece of a story, and leaves the rest for the listener’s imagination.  If I were to tell the story of the song, it would be about a couple in the middle of a still ambiguous relationship.  Even though they’ve been together, he feels that he still couldn’t reach her heart.  She seems to be unsure.  Meanwhile, he is unable to say “I love you” in front of her, despite that voice deep inside his heart.  Telling her everything may ruin it.  In the end, he decides to just seize the moment and not worry about tomorrow, hoping that this dream he’s living will never end.

The single reached #13 on Oricon.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Larry.

    Good to have some Anzen Chitai back here. My sister-in-law gave your article a thumbs-up on Facebook some minutes ago. :)

    I listened to Hacken Lee's version right now and he is fine with it, but I have to say that there is no one like Tamaki when he performs "Tsuki ni Nureta Futari".

    There is very much of a Julio Iglesias tone with this single, something more exotic and high-class. I have this need to drink a glass of good wine when I listen to it. And as I mentioned to you over lunch, any of Anzen Chitai's music is great while driving around the city at night, especially this song. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And say thank you to your sister-in-law for her support :)

      For Tsuki ni Nureta Futari, I totally agree with you that it’s best to listen at night. It carries a certain kind of mysterious mood. I think it’s also Tamaki’s voice.

      Delete
    2. No problems! And yes, Tamaki has one of the best voices in Japanese music.

      Delete
  2. 非常感謝Larry! I'm 23 years old, I listened it some time ago and I always wanted to know what the song was about, I like Hacken Lee's version but the sound and Tamaki's voice together are magical. I hope you can do a complete translation sometime. I enjoy this blog! Greetings from Argentina! 😊

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.