Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Keizo Nakanishi featuring Gospellers -- WITH


I've always thought that Keizo Nakanishi(中西圭三)and Toshinobu Kubota(久保田利伸)were kinda like two peas in a pod when it came to their singing styles with the former tending a little more toward pop and doo-wop. Thanks to my friend and my cousin, I was introduced to Nakanishi's music in the early 90s and I was quite happy with it so that I eventually bought two of his albums "Starting Over" and "graffiti".

I also bought a few more original albums by Nakanishi, but the overall impression hasn't been as great. For example, I listened to "Stay Gold", his 7th album from February 1998, when it first came out but didn't open it again for another 17 years when I pulled it off the shelf today, although I've been quite faithful to my two favourite albums by him. Giving it another try on the player, I just found the majority of the songs to be rather generic.

However, one track "WITH" which features backup by acapella unit Gospellers tugged at my ear, and I gave it another chance by listening to it again. This was another in the long fine line of smooth ballads composed by Nakanishi with J Stack and lyrics by Kanata Asamizu(朝水彼方)who also contributed to a lot of the tracks on "Starting Over". The arrangement and the delivery had me thinking that Sing Like Talking could have also tackled "WITH" with no problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.