Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Wink -- Fuyu no Photograph (冬のフォトグラフ)


Well, the pleasant surprises that I find out about from Japanese pop music. I was just traipsing through the City Pop section of YouTube last night when I came across this video by Wink of all acts. Wink? City Pop? Never would have imagined the connection.

And listening to "Fuyu no Photograph" (Winter Photograph), there wasn't anything there that would have it definitely fit into that particular genre, but it is quite Xmas-y. The song was the only original tune in Wink's December 1988 mini-album "At Heel Diamonds" between their 1st and 2nd album; the rest of the tracks are covers of Western songs including their big hit "Ai ga Tomaranai" (愛が止まらない).

What is surprising for me when it comes to "Fuyu no Photograph" is just how so smooth Shoko Aida (相田翔子...who is doing a solo here) sounds with Yukinojo Mori's(森雪之丞)lyrics and how adult contemporary Yasuhiro Kido's(木戸やすひろ)melody is considering that my impression of Wink during this early part in their career was always about the Eurobeat. The ballad is something that Seiko Matsuda(松田聖子)would have included in her Christmas repertoire at around the same time.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, J-Canuck.

    I never cared too much for Wink’s ballads, but “Fuyu no Photograph” is one of my favorites from them. Shoko’s voice, coupled by the melody, is so gentle that I can’t help but melt a little bit. It does help that she sang it live, wearing a gorgeous White dress, in one of the few concerts Wink have ever released in video. It’s a true, beautiful memory from 1989~1990.

    And while “Fuyu no Photograph” may not sound like a City Pop song, its nostalgic factor is probably at the same level. Like you said, Seiko would have done a great job with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it was quite a pleasant surprise to hear it for the first time. I will have to scour my old Wink albums to find out if there are some ignored gems in them.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to comment on this old post, I love that song too! It is quite eye catching when Shoko performed this song on Wink's first concert. By the way, Marcos V, I am also a fellow brazilian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Too-Tsie. This is J-Canuck, the guy who started up "Kayo Kyoku Plus", and Marcos V. is one of my collaborators. I'm sorry to intrude since you wanted to talk with him but he sometimes gets busy with his studies so I just wanted to let you know that you haven't been ignored. And I'm sure he will get back to you as soon as he can. Glad to hear that you enjoy Wink.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.