Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Mai Yamane -- Wave


Definitely a hot one in Toronto, going up to about 30 degrees Celsius. Nope, doesn't quite compare to the steam baths of August in Tokyo but let's say that I was grateful for some of that ice water during lunchtime with some friends today.


Speaking of something nice and cooling, I did discover that swaying feeling with "Wave" from Mai Yamane's(山根麻衣)debut album "Tasogare" (Twilight). The images that first came to me involved standing by the ocean during sunset while the breezes came rolling in along with the surf.

Kinda ironic that, since the lyrics by Yamane described something more intimately physical and torrid. Perhaps turning on the air conditioner during the afterglow session would have been a wise thing. Another City Pop master was responsible for the deceptively mellow music, guitarist Makoto Matsushita(松下誠). And of course, Yamane lends some lovely vocals to the soundscape of languid guitar and horns.

You can also give the title track a shot as well.


5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I found your site recently while looking up(or trying to) information on Takako Mamiya, the phantom singer of the 80s. I really like all the listings you have here. It, and youtube's improved recommendation settings, has introduced me to some really good music.

    Anyway, onto the real meat of the comment. In one of your earlier posts on Mai Yamane, http://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2015/06/mai-yamane-city-drive.html, I saw you had a picture of the liner notes of her album. This is an odd request, but, if you still have the album, would you mind scanning/photographing all of the lyrics? My listening recognition is only so-so as it is, but songs and their "stylistic pronunciation" make it a lot harder to recognize. For example I thought in "GET AWAY" she said "おまえをならう"(she said ねらう instead). Or in "ヨレヨレBoy", what is actually "CHARLESTON" I thought to be "JAZZと". I like singing along with these songs because it's a ton of fun, and practice I guess. Plus, can you really say you're a fan of music if you aren't jamming out to it in your car while stuck in traffic?

    Wall of text over, haha. If you'd do me this favor, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Eric.

      Thanks very much for your comments. Sure, I can send you the lyrics but I don't have a scanner that can really pick up the writing anywhere near precisely enough to make it legible for you. I can transcribe the lyrics onto a Word document and send those over if that's OK. You can send me a line via the Contact Form at the upper-right of the page.

      Hope to hear from you!
      J

      Delete
    2. That's perfect, thanks! Just sent you a message

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm so happy to see others excited about Mai Yamane's music. Do you still have that doc with the lyrics lying around? I've been searching everywhere for it but I'm not having any luck so far!

    Thanks,
    -B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, jjukijjuki.

      Thanks very much for your comments. Unfortunately, the original document has been lost but it shouldn't take too long to make a new one. If you can just send an email through the Contact Form at the upper-right of the blog, I can send it over in a couple of days. Thanks.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.