Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Mondo Grosso feat. Hikari Mitsushima -- Labyrinth (ラビリンス)


The first time I heard about actress Hikari Mitsushima(満島ひかり)was through a review in "The Japan Times" for a local movie. I don't remember the title or the story behind the flick but the reviewer was fairly gushing about Mitsushima's performance as a quirky character working in a factory; the fellow even complimented the fact that Mitsushima would even allow the camera to film right up her nose. Must have been quite indie, that movie.


Since then, she's been gaining a fine reputation as a thespian over the years. Last year, she even portrayed one of the biggest celebrity icons in Japan, Tetsuko Kuroyanagi(黒柳徹子), so it was kismet that the real Kuroyanagi interviewed the Mitsushima Kuroyanagi on "Tetsuko no Heya"(徹子の部屋).


However, I'd had no idea that Mitsushima was one of the members of the teen idol group Folder and its descendant Folder 5 back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I remembered that unit mostly from their appearance on the Fuji-TV kids' show "Ponkikies"(ポンキッキーズ), and they were pretty darn dynamic on the stage.


Initially when I discovered this YouTube video of Mondo Grosso's latest single "Labyrinth" from April, I was caught a bit off-guard when I realized who this was skipping through the labyrinthine streets of Hong Kong. Then, I remembered that Mitsushima was once a song-and-dance lass from years ago. And she still is.

Compared to some of the other Mondo Grosso collaborations in the past, "Labyrinth" with Mitsushima is pretty laid back...a nice urban groove. But I think it's the video that has gotten my attention as Mitsushima is traipsing through the area. I couldn't help but remember a few movies as I watching: the recent live-action "Ghost In The Shell", "Absolute Beginners" with David Bowie, and even "Singin' In The Rain". I was half-expecting Scarlett Johannson's Major to jump out to do some jigging of her own.

Not sure if it will be enough for me to start searching for Mondo Grosso's latest but "Labyrinth" may be pleasant to hear over stereo speakers with a glass of brandy or a cup of coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.