Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Quruli -- Kohaku Iro no Machi, Shanghai Gani no Asa(琥珀色の街、上海蟹の朝)


For this Quruli(くるり)song, I had to do a double-take at first since I needed to make sure that I did have the right band. I remember nikala's article on their "Liberty & Gravity" (2014) with the accompanying music video since both were eclectically catchy. nikala provided her own descriptions of their music, and to add some of my own descriptors, I thought that "Liberty & Gravity" was the love child of chindon'ya and bohemian pop who was introduced to the wonders of absinthe.


But with their July 2016 analog single "Kohaku Iro no Machi, Shanghai Gani no Asa" (Amber-Coloured City, The Morning of the Shanghai Crab), I just heard this old-fashioned cool groove with some rap which had me doing that double-take I mentioned above. From their description on J-Wiki and Wikipedia, I read that Quruli was into pop, rock, alternative rock, electronic rock and synthpop but didn't know about any R&B leanings. It's a nice take and as with the music video for "Liberty & Gravity", I also enjoyed the anime style for this video. It looks like Quruli has plenty of surprises.


In the lyrics of the song, the members mentioned how much they wanted to eat that crab, which apparently is formally known as Chinese mitten crab according to Jisho.org. Well, I can certainly understand their hunger since I had the opportunity years ago to try this variety out when I visited Hong Kong for the first time. It was October and apparently it was the peak season for the crustacean. Steamed in their shells with a certain type of Chinese liquor (I may have gotten the cooking technique wrong, so please correct me if so), it was the tastiest shellfish that I had ever eaten. And this confession is from a guy who usually doesn't go for crab or lobster since he doesn't particularly like having to toil for his food by cracking chitin. Kinda goes to show how good it was.

2 comments:

  1. This song makes me want to try that dish as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't mind cracking the chitin for this crab!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.