Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Kaori Sawada -- Iolite(アイオライト)


While I was reading up on long-time actress/tarento/singer Ayako Sawada(沢田亜矢子), I discovered that she has a daughter Kaori Sawada(澤田かおり)who is a singer-songwriter. Born in Seattle, Washington but raised in Tokyo, she learned to play classical piano and the electone at a young age, and studied songwriting at the Yamaha Music Foundation. Then in 2005, she attended the Brooklyn-Queens Conservatory of Music for voice training, and also received a Bachelor's Degree "...in contemporary writing and production from Berklee College of Music in 2008".


From her October 2016 2nd major album "Frontier" comes "Iolite". I had to actually look up what iolite was all about, and I found out that it is "...a magnesium iron aluminium cyclosilicate" according to Wikipedia. Of course, we all knew that! In any case, Sawada is sending the message that she's happy to have a lot on her plate in terms of work and socialization since whatever doesn't kill her makes her stronger. She's now extending the invitation to a potential romantic partner and basically saying that she's fully in the driver's seat.

The music is what attracted me to "Iolite" since it has that clubby urban contemporary beat which reminds me of bird and Misia among other R&B singers from the early 2000s. I don't know whether this is Sawada's regular type of music, but I am interested to know more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.