Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Little Black Dress -- Nora Ningen(野良ニンゲン)

 

Welcome once more to Hump Day! Let's see if we can get over this and onto the downhill toward the weekend. Over the last couple of articles, I mentioned how much I enjoyed last night's "Uta Con"(うたコン)broadcast because of all of the kayo that got covered, and I think it was in the first of the two that I wrote about singer-songwriter Little Black Dress whom I had never heard of before.

(Yup, it did get struck down.)

Not sure how long the above video will stay up before the powers-that-be will copyright strike it down but that is indeed her performing Junko Yagami's(八神純子)"Mizuiro no Ame" (みずいろの雨), one of my very favourites by one of my very favourite singers. No one is going to best Yagami at that soaring vocal intro but I think Little Black Dress did a fine job on the cover.

LBD's (her real name is currently unrevealed) life story in music from both the interview on "Uta Con" and her J-Wiki profile did have me doing a fist pump. Born and raised in Okayama Prefecture, whenever she was driven to nursery school, her grandmother and mother had the car stereo playing the ol' Showa kayo which got her to eventually love the oldies. And sure enough, in the video introduction on the show last night, she performed Momoe Yamaguchi's(山口百恵)furious "Playback Part 2" (プレイバック・パート2)and she did state in the interview and it was stated on J-Wiki that she was a huge fan of Akira Terao's(寺尾聰)"Ruby no Yubiwa" (ルビーの指輪). Basically, she adores her kayo rock and from high school when she received a guitar from her uncle, she launched her music career from 2016, even becoming the opening act for a Misia concert in that year.

One other reason that she got my attention is her stage name itself. Being an Audrey Hepburn fan, Little Black Dress had me remembering Hepburn's little black dress from "Breakfast at Tiffany's". However, J-Wiki states that LBD took on the name while performing as that opening act at "MISIA CANDELE NIGHT" which doesn't really clarify things for me.

Her second digital single is "Nora Ningen" (Stray Humans) from June 2019 and I can understand why LBD got to open up for Misia. Her vocals are somewhat similar to those of Misia but the overall bouncy arrangement of the song sparks more of Ringo Shiina(椎名林檎)and she has also been quite the admirer of the kayo style. LBD's lyrics put an interesting twist to the story of unshackling the cuffs of society's rules by adding a "Now what?" in that perhaps people may be free but there is the consequence of isolation and worry of being apart from most people. 

Let me give my compliments to the music video director and staff for making some good use of the Shibuya overpasses and main intersection. I'm sure that some of those overnighters walking through the area must have been wondering what was up with those three high school girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.