Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 15, 2021

Yoko Kuzuya -- Midnight Drivin'

 

Allow me to send my compliments on this grand video of a night through one of the more modern areas of Tokyo. Titled "Tokyo Future City Takeshiba Night Walk 2021" by YouTuber VIRTUAL JAPAN, it's a sharp look at an area that I'm sorry to say that I never went through at night but I can say that I have traipsed through the neighbourhood very close to it via the Yurikamome Monorail, Odaiba, in Tokyo Bay. The angles and colours just pop out at me!

Now that VIRTUAL JAPAN video is a Night Walk and not a night drive but there are quite a few of those on YouTube via channels such as J Utah anyways. However, I did find this appropriate musical accompaniment to any sort of drive or walk through futuristic-looking Tokyo areas. And it's a nice return by urban contemporary singer-songwriter Yoko Kuzuya(葛谷葉子)who stopped her music activities in 2010 according to J-Wiki. She came back to get together a new BEST compilation called "MIDNIGHT DRIVIN' -KUZUYA YOKO MUSIC GREETINGS 1999~2021" which was released on September 22 this year via Sony Music Japan.

The first two tracks on her first album in a decade are new songs with the first one being "Midnight Drivin'". Written and composed by Kuzuya, this is a nice song while being behind the wheel on the Shuto Expressway during the midnight hour when traffic is hopefully more bearable. Considering what I've seen of those driving-through-Tokyo videos, it is indeed possible to enjoy a smooth ride in the megalopolis at night. And Kuzuya's music and vocals are just as smooth and groovy.

It will be my intention to get my copy of "MIDNIGHT DRIVIN'". The album also has another Kuzuya song that I wrote about years ago, "ALL NIGHT".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.