Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, October 18, 2021

Katsuhisa Hattori -- Futari dake no Umi(二人だけの海)

 

This is a short-but-sweet track from a soundtrack to a 1980 movie called "Koufuku-go Shuppan"(幸福号出帆...The S.S. Happiness Sets Sail). The movie was based on a Yukio Mishima(三島由紀夫)novel that was first released in 1955 through the pages of the Yomiuri Shimbun. From what I could read of the synopsis, "Koufuku-go Shuppan" seems to be set up as some kind of soap opera, but despite the title and the cover of the soundtrack album featuring a mighty sailing vessel, I think the novel and the movie are actually based on land with the title possessing a more metaphorical meaning. I did come across one part of the story in the J-Wiki which states that Mishima had wanted the first half of the novel to have the look and feel of "Grand Hotel" in which a lot of characters mingle and intersect. The lead actress was Mariko Fuji(藤真利子)who has quite a few entries here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus".

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any footage of "Koufuku-go Shuppan" so I can't really confirm where the setting is, although the 1980 movie seems to be centered around the comings and goings of a Ginza-based department store and a young couple thrown into a maelstrom. Although I can't say that I'm a Mishima fan, any time his name pops up, I am at least a little curious especially as it pertains to my blog.

Also, the late Katsuhisa Hattori(服部克久)was a composing/arranging master whose name I am also very intrigued by. He was indeed responsible for the "Koufuku-go Shuppan" soundtrack and the track here is "Futari dake no Umi" (An Ocean Just for Two). There is no aural sign of any ocean adventure or pirates here; instead it's a stylish laidback song of slow funk and jazz. It could be a piece surrounding a walk through Shinjuku or a dinner in some swanky restaurant in Tokyo. But perhaps it could also be describing such a meal on a cruise ship just offshore. 

In any case, if anyone out there has actually seen this movie on the big or small screen, let me know what it's all about. I know that Fuji's character had wanted to become an opera singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.