Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Asami Kobayashi -- Transit


Recently, I was asked by a commenter on how I was able to quickly peg a particular tune from the late 1970s as a Yuming-penned one. I simply answered that it was because of the 50s pop feeling imbued into the melody and I think the only other singer-songwriter who could do that, Mariya Takeuchi(竹内まりや), had just debuted herself.


When I heard the intro for Asami Kobayashi's(小林麻美)"Transit", I received that same inkling that this was another Yumi Matsutoya(松任谷由実)creation especially in the way that piano tinkled away. Well, actually, I was wrong in that Yuming(ユーミン)wasn't responsible for the music. She provided the lyrics. Meanwhile, it was Yosui Inoue(井上陽水)who composed "Transit", the B-side for her 9th single "Kanashimi no Spy"(哀しみのスパイ)from August 1984.

Compared to the suspenseful technopop of that A-side for which Yuming also provided lyrics while Koji Tamaki(玉置浩二)gave the music, "Transit" is a shorter and dreamier musical interlude with a bit of blues in there. Yuming's lyrics describe a woman who is in the middle of a stopover just making adjustments to the time and settling into that airport relaxation rhythm. Perhaps she's following that kayo trope of taking an international flight to get a breather after breaking up with a fellow.

I figure that the song was probably the final track on either Side A or Side B of her 4th album "Crytograph ~ Ai no Angou"(愛の暗号...Code of Love)which came out in the same month of the single. Well, I saw on Amazon that it was Track 5 out of the ten tracks, so I think my guess may actually win out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.