Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Natsume Mito -- Maegami Kiri Sugita(前髪切りすぎた)


For the song of this article, I keep getting reminded of that one segment on last summer's hilarious anime, "Asobi Asobase"(あそびあそばせ), in which Olivia REALLY needed to cut her hair due to the heat and ended up banging up her bangs big time.

Happily, I still have my hair since it looks like I have inherited my maternal grandfather's ability to keep his hair well into his nineties. Nowadays, though, when it's time to have it cut every three months, I just instruct the barber to go into hacking mode so that my pate ends up resembling something close to the do of a new Marine recruit. You can imagine that bangs don't really exist near my forehead.


Anyways, to the song at hand. A little over three years ago, Marcos V. introduced impish technopop singer Natsume Mito(三戸なつめ)to "Kayo Kyoku Plus" with "8-Bit Boy", and since then, the song has often been a go-to earworm for me. He also mentioned about Mito's debut single, "Maegami Kiri Sugita" (I Cut Too Much of My Bangs) that he said that he would write about someday.

With full apologies to my good friend in Brazil, I couldn't wait anymore so I've gone ahead with "Maegami Kiri Sugita" which was released some months before "8-Bit Boy" in 2015.

I'm unsure which came first: the song about the bangs being cut too short or Mito's most conspicuous feature of extremely short bangs. In any case, it was an auspicious debut for the model-singer. "Maegami Kiri Sugita" is a catchy tune which might be as much an earworm as the second single of "8-Bit Boy". Another interesting thing about the song, written and composed by Yasutaka Nakata(中田ヤスタカ)of capsule and Perfume fame, is that apparently several videos, each with a different theme, were created for it. The one above is officially titled "The Chinese Cabbage Version", although I think it could easily be dubbed "The NHK Kids' Show Parody".


There is also the nifty "Graffiti Version".


Then, there is the "Suspect Version" which humorously goes into how Mito got those bangs in the first place.


Finally, there is the "Everything But The Kitchen Sink Version" which puts in scenes from all of the individual versions. So far, "Maegami Kiri Sugita" has been Mito's most successful song, peaking at No. 36 on Oricon. Let's see if the song can get out of your head overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.