Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, March 22, 2019

Tan Tan -- Bring Me Your Broken Heart


A couple of nights ago, I wrote about the Group Sounds band, The White Kicks(ザ・ホワイト・キックス)which included a female member by the name of Taeko Morino(森野多恵子). Well, while she had been doing a bit of the psychedelic back in the late 1960s, around a decade later, she was taking on a whole new genre.


Plus, she had a new name. Tan Tan released this album titled "Trying To Get To You" in 1978 (it's listed in my "Japanese City Pop") from which I found this groovy track "Bring Me Your Broken Heart". It almost sounds a few years ahead of its time just from the usage of keyboards, and Tan Tan takes on a vocal style reminiscent of what I've heard from Kimiko Kasai(笠井紀美子)and Noriko Miyamoto(宮本典子). I couldn't find out who the songwriters were for "Bring Me Your Broken Heart" which has this mix of Motown and mild disco, but I would like to raise my glass to them.

I also don't know whether she had any subsequent albums of similar genre under the name Tan Tan, but from the early 1980s, she changed her name again to Harumi Ohzora(大空はるみ)and switched to another genre: that of techno-jazz, kinda like Taco. Ohzora was the first incarnation of this singer that I discovered so I decided to stick with this name in all other articles about her, and I hope to get to the Ohzora albums in short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.