Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Toshi Cappuccino's "The Golden Era of Japanese Pop: Kayo Kyoku From The 1980s"

via his website

One of my good friends and fellow translators contacted me a few hours ago to inform me of this New York-based cabaret entertainer by the name of Toshi Cappuccino who is slated to hold a concert in downtown Toronto this coming Saturday the 13th. Titled "The Golden Era of Japanese Pop: Kayo Kyoku From The 1980s", he will be performing a number of hits by some of the aidoru at least including Momoe Yamaguchi(山口百恵), Seiko Matsuda(松田聖子)and Akina Nakamori(中森明菜). Yes, I am well aware that Yamaguchi's time was solely in the 1970s.


I wish I could go since the concert is right up my alley but unfortunately I have a lesson with my student on Saturday night so I will have to decline. But for those in the Toronto area who may be interested, the link will take you to the ad for ticket information.

In the meantime, just to give you a sample of what Toshi is all about, I found this on his YouTube channel, a jazzy rap titled "Taiki 'Cho' Bansei"(大器”超”晩成). Apparently, it's a riff on the expression Taiki Bansei which means "Great talents mature late", but in this case, I could translate it as "Great talents mature really late". Anyways, if any of you folks get to go to the performance, let us know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. You missed a great show, Allan. Lots of memorable hits sung by an amazing singer (occasionally in drag, but still fun). He did a lot of Matsuda Seiko, Yamaguchi Momoe, Sawada Kenji, and so on. The You Tube song doesn't do him justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gary. Glad to hear that Toshi did such a great job. Would have been nice to hear his Seiko and Momoe! See you at the next lunch outing.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.