Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Atsuko Nina -- Teibou(堤防)


I've got that feeling of entering that amorphous period between Xmas and New Year's Day. There's no longer than holly jolly emotion of the Yuletide but I've yet to get that air of year-end conviviality. There seems to be a holding pattern, so to speak, especially since I'm not at all interested in Boxing Day shopping.


So in a way, it's good that I've got some translating assignments to keep me occupied during this time, and there are the discs from Japan that I've got to listen to, plus a couple of volumes of "Record Collectors" from JTM to devour. Also, "Kayo Kyoku Plus" will always provide some time for me.

Here is this track from Atsuko Nina's(二名敦子)4th album "Fluorescent Lamp" (1987) called "Teibou" (Embankment). It's been classified as a City Pop tune, and it is that, but I think it's also got that arrangement of late 1980s sophisticated pop. Those horns in there remind me of Swingout Sister to a certain extent. Nina took care of both words and music. Would like to explore more of this album, if possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hello J-Canuck!

    Thanks for this. After reading this article, and playing the video you provided, I went looking after more of her work.

    Indeed, for a late 80s release it really does have an early 80s City Pop appeal.

    I like. I also looked into her first album and she did a rendition One Note Samba that I had heard from another act that I can't remember right now. However I still remember the song.

    Anyway, thanks for this. I will have to listen to more of her output.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Chasing Showa. All the best of the Holidays to you. Yeah, I think I'm going to see if I can get one of her 80s albums as well. As for the cover of "One Note Samba", I've already written about that. For some reason, it was given the title "Communication", though.

      https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2018/09/atsuko-nina-communicationorange-basket.html

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.