Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Mako Ishino -- Boushi(帽子)

 


It's been a while since I've seen Mako Ishino(石野真子). Being the late 1970s aidoru and then going on to a career in acting and appearing as a tarento, I also have to realize that she also made a transition into straight pop going into the 1980s. Although a lot of folks on this side of the Pacific, which includes orthodontists, will not agree with me here, she was also known for having one of the cuter smiles due to her yaeba(八重歯)or what we would call a snaggle-toothed smile. Since then, Ishino has had that corrected.

Anyways, I have found this track from her October 1985 album "Saffron"(サフラン)called "Boushi" (The Hat). Even though I could find the lyrics by Masumi Kawamura(川村真澄), I still couldn't quite understand them so I gather that this was more of an image-laden dreamscape that was being portrayed. It would seem that Mako-chan has found herself in a café and she takes notice of an enigmatic figure under a hat, rakishly slanted over the man's head.  

The composer for "Boushi" was none other than keyboardist extraordinaire Hiroshi Sato(佐藤博), the man behind the City Pop/J-AOR classic "Awakening", and I'm pretty sure that he's also the one behind the keyboards in this particular song. His seemingly delicate playing (along with Ishino's vocals) also adds to the dream-like quality of "Boushi". It's kinda like the equivalent of a cup of chamomile tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.