Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Kyoko Koizumi -- Yoake no MEW (夜明けのMEW)


I heard Kyon-Kyon's "Yoake no MEW" (Daybreak Mew) on the Kohaku Utagassen and for some reason, it's been the only song that she has sung among her 6 appearances on the program that has stuck with me all these years. I suspect it's the way that she sings the title and the line "Ai wo gomen ne..." (愛をごめんね...Sorry for my love) which makes me feel that either she or I should be rolling up into a ball and licking a front paw or something.


Also, after remembering just that Kohaku version, the original recorded version comes across as being somewhat more upbeat, and that's considering that the Yasushi Akimoto(秋元康)-penned lyrics are about an impending breakup between a couple. Kyohei Tsutsumi(筒美京平) was responsible for the slightly Asian-sounding melody.

The song was released in July 1986 as Kyoko Koizumi's(小泉今日子) 19th single. It peaked at No. 2 and became the 71st-ranked single of the year. The track also belongs on her 10th album from March 1987, "Hippies" which reached No. 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.