Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Yuko Ando -- Anata to Watashi ni Dekiru Koto (あなたと私にできる事)


Things have suddenly gotten quite busy this week. Along with the usual translation assignments from both clients, I have been practicing my contribution to a talk on how to get into the translation industry that I am to give later this Thursday. There is also the blog but obviously that is a mere hobby although as longtime readers know, I'm pretty dedicated in churning out a couple of articles per day.


Just to cool down a bit after an hour looking at my speech notes, I wanted to find something soothing for a Monday night. And it's been a while...say, 2 years and change...since I brought in chanteuse Yuko Ando(安藤裕子)into the blog so here is her 2nd single, "Anata to Watashi ni Dekiru Koto" (Anything That Can Be Done For You and Me). Frankly, I'm not sure I like that particular translation; I would probably go with "Anything For Us".

In any case, this song which was written and composed by Ando came out in April 2005. It's nice to hear those soft cooing vocals again with that wonderfully mellow arrangement of strings and horns. And I'm starting to think that form of urban cool music was something that was plentiful in the early 2000s but perhaps not so much now. With all of the alphabet aidoru groups out on the charts, it's more difficult to find the mellow stuff from this part of the world, perhaps.

I see that video for "Anata to Watashi ni Dekiru Koto" and think that Ando may just be like Ringo Shiina's(椎名林檎)younger, more laid back and less intimidating sister. The music isn't all that different from what Shiina could have made in an alternate universe. As it is, though, Ando also made the song for her 2nd full album, "Merry Andrew" which was released in January 2006. The album contains her 4th single, "Samishigariya no Kotobatachi"(さみしがり屋の言葉達)as well which was the first song by the singer-songwriter that I was introduced to.

Good heavens, Blogger has apparently introduced emoji for me to use....cheers! 🍸

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.