Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Miki Nakatani -- Yogoreta Ashi(汚れた脚)


It's been a good while since I put up a Miki Nakatani(中谷美紀)song so welcome back! As I've mentioned in the past, Nakatani is more famous as an actress than as a singer. She's been getting more attention on TV, movies and the stage, and generally I think her singing is OK but not great (can be ethereal sometimes, sometimes droning).


A couple of nights ago, I discovered this song from her debut album from April 1996, "Shokumotsu Rensa"(食物連鎖...Food Chain). Titled "Yogoreta Ashi" (Dirty Legs), I wasn't quite sure whether the ashi here was referring to actual feet or legs. Mind you, the kanji being used in the title is 「脚」referring to the full leg instead of 「足」which is feet although I think dirty feet might sound more logical. In any case, there is an official English subtitle for the song: "The Silence of Innocence".

The lyrics by Masao Urino(売野雅勇)are a tad cryptic (to me anyways) although the gist is about a woman who still hasn't quite gotten over a past romance but may be on the cusp of moving on. Those dirty legs do show up in his lyrics near the end in a figurative sense in that the next time she sees her former flame anywhere, she will be able to face him standing up. Perhaps by referring to those dirty legs, she might be meaning that she's gone through a lot including getting dumped by the guy?

I don't know but the Ryuichi Sakamoto(坂本龍一)melody as played in the above live video is quite soothing. I don't have "Shokumotsu Rensa" with the song so I'm not sure how the original version sounded but I can take this version any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.