Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Ai Furihata -- CITY


Well, my age-old question has finally been answered. What if an aidoru-esque Midori Karashima(辛島美登里)and Michael Sembello from the 1980s collaborated?


Yes, rather tongue-in-cheek for a Tuesday but that's the favourable impression that I got when I first saw "CITY", a track from the mini-album "Moonrise" which isn't even due to be released until late September 2020. The singer behind it is Ai Furihata(降幡愛)who is also a seiyuu hailing from Nagano Prefecture.

Furihata wrote the lyrics with Akimitsu Honma(本間昭光)providing the music. That melody sounds so much like early 1980s Billboard-friendly pop that I felt like Honma must have been inspired by Sembello's "Maniac" from the immensely popular "Flashdance" soundtrack or maybe even Oliva Newton-John's "Twist of Fate" hit single. As for lyricist-singer Furihata, a good chunk of her voice reminds me a lot of singer-songwriter Karashima because of that nasality. Then, there's that music video which pretty much yells out "I LOVE VAPORWAVE!".

Along with her work on anime, I also found out that Furihata is also a member of the anime aidoru group Aqours found in "Love Live! Sunshine!!". Shuka Saito斉藤朱夏), who I wrote about recently, is also a member.


Here's "Twist of Fate"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.