Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Kaori Kozai -- Wasurebana (わすれ花)


I've usually found my favourite enka tunes way back in the past but from time to time, I find some nice examples of the genre being developed in the last few years.


Of course, NHK's "Uta Kon"(うたコン)is my prime source for the new enka, and tonight was no different. Kaori Kozai(香西かおり)brought her latest single from this year (April 2017) onto the stage, and I have to admit that I fell in love with that French accordion which gives the song a feeling of a nice waltz. "Wasurebana" is Kozai singing about remembering a romance that has now ended so of course, the tender and wistful memories come flowing forth.

Written by Makoto Kitajo(喜多條忠)and composed by Tetsuya Gen(弦哲也), I had initially assumed that wasurebana referred to "forget-me-nots" but according to my usual online dictionaries, those flowers have different names in Japanese. Therefore I guess I will translate the title as Flowers To Forget. However, I don't think Kozai's heroine particularly wants to forget the good times just yet. And certainly with that lovely accordion in there, I really don't want to forget this little gem, either. Incidentally, the single has been released to commemorate the singer's 30th anniversary in the music industry.


(karaoke version)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.