Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

=LOVE -- Teokure caution (手遅れcaution)


It’s been a while since I last listened to something surprising coming from the Japanese market. Besides the usual artists, such as Megumi Hayashibara (林原めぐみ), Chisato Moritaka (森高千里) or Shizuka Kudo (工藤静香), I’ve spent a lot of my time listening to New Kids On The Block lately (“Step by Step” is pop perfection, by the way). Yeah, my fault for falling in love with the boyband’s late 80s/early 90s cheesy numbers.

However, with some help, I can still get into some creative aidoru songs from nowadays. Even though I’m well aware that the majority of them is safe, bland and formulaic, I can still hear bits of imaginative pop music construction coming from this niche, and maybe a good example is the strong, dramatic and over the top “Teokure caution” by aidoru group =LOVE (イコールラブ).

Partially produced by AKB48 and HKT48 superstar member Rino Sashihara (指原莉乃), =LOVE is a group comprised by seiyuu aidoru singers that made its major debut last year, in 2017. Now, in May 2018, they’ve released their third single, “Teokure caution”, with a music video full of bad acting accompanying this surprisingly good song.

“Teokure caution” isn’t an easy ride that will make you chill and relax. In the end, your ears will probably be a little worned out, thanks to all the wild strings and the typical AKB48-like unison singing during the choruses. I feel like being hit by a blast of obscure energy, but one well put together. Not that the song is perfect, and it’s far from it, but I enjoy the dare shown by all the people responsible for producing and releasing songs like that in the mainstream market. Something that’s so detached from the common sense generally adopted in the pop music world, or, as I like to say, a song with so many wrong elements put together in a beautiful way.

The single reached #3 on the Oricon charts, selling around 75,932 copies, according to. Lyrics were written by Rino Sashihara, while music was composed by Hiroshi Imai (今井ひろし). As for the arrangement, Tatsuya Kurauchi (倉内達矢) was the responsible.

Source: https://www.generasia.com/w/images/6/64/%3DLOVE_-_Teokure_caution_reg_C.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Marcos.

    Yes, I quickly sped through the drama and went straight to the song. So Ms. Sashihara has gone into production and songwriting as well, I see. If so, I think she's learned quite well from Mr. Akimoto. I should also warn that ears may be hit by the screaming. Glad that I kept the volume down to about 30.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck.

      It's good Sashihara is trying new things. Once the gets older, she can still produce new aidoru artists. The whole drama and screaming was a little unnecessary, but the song overshadows all the cheap details, imo. I've been listening to it in the last few days, and it's still strong in my ears.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites from this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Imani.

      I agree with you. It's a great highlight from 2018.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.