Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Seishiro Kusunose -- Sugar Stick ~ She Got Married


Won't be having one of the above for a little while since this is the Strawberry Pancake at Fuwa Fuwa. I mean, Fuwa Fuwa does deliver and provides takeout during this global pandemic, but I think it's a little too extravagant to call in for anything this sweet and drippy right now, especially in my neck of the woods. However, if any of you in Toronto are game, you can check out their website.


I came up with that little sweet-toothed preamble so that I can introduce another Seishiro Kusunose(楠瀬誠志郎)song, "Sugar Stick ~ She Got Married" from his 2nd album "Boukensha-tachi"(冒険者たち...The Adventurers), released in April 1987. Listening to this a few times, I think this is generally a smooth pop song but I also gradually came to feel that the underlying rhythms brought things just over the line into City Pop territory. It really is a cool nighttime mid-tempo tune with some good emotion in Kusunose's vocals although they don't get anguished. This was composed by the singer and written by Ryo or Akira Koizumi(小泉; couldn't get a confirmation on the proper way to pronounce his name.

Back in my Japan days, I used to remember getting those sugar sticks whenever I ordered a cup of coffee or tea. I think I relied on those things a little too much.

2 comments:

  1. Hi J-Canuck!

    小泉亮 reads Ryo Koizumi.

    Apart Seishiro Kusunose, he also wrote lyrics for Hi-Fi Set, Junko Yamamoto (1st and 2nd solo albums), Yoshitaka Minami and Hitomi Kuramoto (倉本ひとみ) album.

    Only time I've seen his name romanized is on Hi-Fi Set 14th album "Sweet Locomotion" (1986) back cover:

    https://static.mercdn.net/item/detail/orig/photos/m45294674714_2.jpg

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Daemonskald.

      Thanks again for the assist there. I've never heard of Kuramoto so I'll have to look into what she has recorded. Hopefully, you're staying safe where you are.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.