Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Kanako Wada -- Tenderness


As I mentioned in my first entry on Kanako Wada(和田加奈子)a week or so ago, her very first album, "Tenderness", released in 1986 has remained just an LP record. It was never even converted into cassette tape, let alone CD. I'd bought my own copy from Wah Yueh just on a whim and because of the cover showing a pensive young Wada sitting on what looks like the desert floor.

To be honest, after playing it on the old record player for the first time, I frankly thought that that was $28 I could've used on something else. Some of the songs just struck me as being a bit too much of the generic synthesized power pop that was being dumped on the airwaves amongst a number of aidoru that have come and gone during the 80s. So after a few more listens, I put Kanako in the corner. But some years later, after I came across her "Dreamin' Lady" from a Japanese commercial, I actually started to appreciate her stuff at the turn of the decade.



"Passing Through" has been the only song from this album to make it onto any Best compilation by Wada. You might say it's kinda like Pat Benatar-lite: the electric guitar/synth/drum combo, and in the official video, Kanako is singing away in a leather jacket with the necessary pop-rock gravitas. Music was provided by Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司)with lyrics by Neko Oikawa(及川眠子).

(excerpts only)




(Ah, did find one track "Radio ga Kowareta Yoru"/Radio がこわれた夜"
The Night the Radio Died)

The rest of the album consists of songs that I hadn't heard in 25 years, so I'm basically listening to them for the first time.... again. Again, a few of the freshly uploaded songs on YouTube still come off as being unremarkable but there are some others such as this one, "Twilight Dinner" that I've started to appreciate a bit more because of the passage of time, and the fact that Wada hadn't quite fit into my still-developing ears for Japanese music of that time. By the same token, I'd given Taeko Ohnuki(大貫妙子) the boot initially as well. Yasuhiro Kido and Kumiko Aoki created this one.

"Jealous Girl" is the first track on Side-A created by Ken Sato(佐藤研)and Akira Ohtsu(大津あきら). A dynamic start to "Tenderness", I think the horns sound as if they were borrowed by Earth Wind & Fire.

(excerpt only)

"Feedback" is the only song that I had originally liked from "Tenderness". It's the final track, and though Kanako's voice seems a bit uncertain and threatens to be overwhelmed by the melody at times, I enjoy the Latin beat and the feeling that Wada is on some sort of musical voyage. Tsugutoshi Goto was responsible for this last song with Keiko Aso(麻生圭子)behind the lyrics.


Ah, finally a YouTube video that I can embed (for now). This is "Toki ni...Hagurete"(時に。。。はぐれて...Missing Out Sometimes) which is Track 2. One of the reasons that I wasn't initially impressed by Wada was that I didn't think she had the strongest vocals for songs that didn't really stand out. And unfortunately, the above performance kinda showed that. Tsugutoshi Goto(後藤次利)composed this one with Yoshiaki Sagara(さがらよしあき)providing the lyrics.


On re-discovering "Tenderness" on YouTube, I also found out that Wada has made a small comeback recently, after retiring in 1991. According to J-Wiki, she made an appearance at some sort of surfing event in Chiba Prefecture back in 2010 singing a couple of cover songs. Then, she came out to the same event almost a year later where she sang one of her old hits. You can see it below.



Twenty years later, it sounds like she still has the chops.


(full album)



9 comments:

  1. The last song, the one you posted the live version of is "kanashii haato we moeteiru."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jeff.

      Yup, it certainly is. Pity about the sound system, though.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the first comment I made never posted.

    I was just going to say that in my opinion, Kanako Sara's best songs were mostly from her work on the anime series "Kimagura Orange Road," in case you didn't know about it. My personal favorites are "Sarubia no Hana," "Natsu no Mirage," and "Kanashii Haato wa Moeteiru."
    My favorite song from the rest of her work is "Passing Through." But I have only heard maybe three of her albums that I can think of: Esquisse, Kana, and Vocu.

    You've probably heard her Orange Road songs, but if you haven't they are easily found on YouTube. You can either search her name or Kimagura Orange Road songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jeff.

      Sorry about that first comment not getting posted; not quite sure what happened there.

      Kinda found out about Wada's connection with KOR the other way around. I first heard "Tenderness" then several years later it was her last two full albums before all of the music from KOR.

      I've already written about some of her KOR songs on the blog so you can check them out. For me, my favourite by her from the anime is "Natsu no Mirage".

      Delete
  3. Great article! I think Radio がこわれた夜 is my favorite song of hers. Any idea how I can find lyrics for it? I looked everywhere. Cant even find Japanese lyrics :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Omar. Thanks for your comments. How would you like your lyrics served? Japanese or romaji?

      Delete
    2. Hi! That would be great if you can manage it. Thank you very much! :) Japanese would be easier I guess since I can run it through google translate to get the meaning of it. I guess with romaji I wouldn't be able to do it. If it can be in English that would be totally idea of course but I guess Japanese is a close second for translatability. Thanks again :)

      Delete
    3. Hi again.

      At the port past midnight,
      Time has stopped.
      The street lights seem like
      A distant galaxy.

      You pick up a Marlboro
      And flick on the oil lighter.
      The profile you've forgotten
      Brings back the memories of goodbye.

      *The night the radio died
      The tuning was off.
      The night the radio died
      The audio skipped.
      Just like a couple. Love's oppressive, ain't it?

      The cement at the old warehouse
      Is just like a white-capped wave.
      When the car window opened,
      The sand came falling down.

      What I want to say is always
      What I should have said but
      Little by little without knowing it
      Our feelings for each other changed.

      The night the radio died
      The static got in
      The night the radio died
      It got frustrating
      I couldn't hear anything though I still loved you.

      *

      **The night the radio died
      The static got in
      The night the radio died
      It got frustrating

      *

      **

      Delete
    4. wow! Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your effort :) The lyrics and meaning behind the song is beautiful.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.