Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Kilala & Ulala -- Senti Metal Boy (センチ・メタル・ボーイ)


During early- to mid-80's, Japanese music went through a digital transformation of sorts thanks to the emergence of YMO, Moonriders and other related techno/new wave acts. Pop idols also got to try out those new sounds in the form of fusion genre known as techno-kayo. Shortly before moving to Japan I sampled a whole bunch of techno kayo through eight special compilation discs released by various labels in 1999. One of the acts that stood out for me was this duo Kilala & Ulala (キララとウララ) (a.k.a. Kanako Ohtani (大谷香奈子) and Nagisa Amano (天野なぎさ)). No, it's not because their name kind of rhymes with my username here. I just found this song of theirs pretty catchy and the silly robot choreography that goes along with it charming. I'm not sure what the source of the above video is, but it neither looks like a promotional video nor a TV performance, though it is quite possible that some TV producers decided to spice it up with some special effects. Very 80's indeed.


Released on August 1st, 1984, the duo's debut single "Senti Metal Boy" (センチ・メタル・ボーイ) garnered quite a reaction thanks to those morse code bits and eventually became referred to as "Morse Code Kayo". It was written by Masao Urino (売野雅勇) and composed by Daisuke Inoue (井上大輔). According to J-Wiki, the performances of this song were also some of the first in Japan to feature performers moving around with headsets rather than holding or staying/dancing next to a microphone. More fun ideas for choreographers, I guess, though I'm pretty sure this particular dance wasn't tough to execute.

Kilala & Ulala's career only lasted for about two years, during which they released 5 singles and 1 album, "Double Fantasy". The funny thing is that it was actually a solid album but neither it nor the subsequent singles sold enough to give the girls another chance. Hey, I ordered it from Otokichi Premium today and am looking forward to receiving it next week. As for the individual members, Ohtani went on to become a business lady, while Amano changed her name to Ayumi Amano and debuted as a singer-songwriter in 1992.

As a bonus, here's W's cover of the song.





2 comments:

  1. What a coincidense, nikala. I discovered this duo two days ago thought your post on Jpopsuki. As you said, the album is quite solid. Some of the songs are really good, and their debut single, "Senti Metal Boy", stood up to me very quickly.

    I didn't have enough time to listen to them with keen attention (I was traveling since friday, and the last thing I did before leaving home was download and listen to Kilala & Urara), but I will give them some nice attention in the next days.

    Thanks a lot for another great post, and congratulations for buying their album. It must be a pretty nice record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, nikala. Thanks for bringing this single to light. Considering the vocoder in there, I would have thought that Ryuichi Sakamoto had something to do with "Senti Metal Boy". And it's good that you were able to get that album...I have a feeling that if it's not rare already, it soon will be.

    I'm not sure if it would be at your local CD shop, but if you go to one of the big stores in Nagoya (Tower Records, etc.), there may be a compilation album of techno kayo by various singers which were either written or composed by members of YMO. I found it once at Yamano Records in Tokyo and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. Hopefully, you will have better luck.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.