Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Momoko Kikuchi -- Say Yes!

Well, it has been a while since a Momoko Kikuchi (菊池桃子)song got added onto the blog....almost a whole year! So, allow me to remedy this right now.


Memory Lane got opened up again as soon as I heard "Say Yes!" again. I used to hear this on some of my old compilation tapes and on old videos of "The Best Ten" as shown above. I guess what got the old engrams in my brain sparking again was just the quintessential aidoru stylings behind Kikuchi's 9th single with her lispy vocals, synths and happy-happy melody. The above video is definitely not the one but I do remember Kikuchi on one of those videos performing while being mobbed by a whole bunch of sweaty young guys.

Written by Masao Urino(売野雅勇)and composed by Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司), "Say Yes!" came out in September 1986. As seen in the video above, the song was apparently Kikuchi's first No. 1 according to the charts on "The Best Ten", but it also rocketed up to No. 1 on Oricon, and finished at No. 42 on the annual charts. It was a pretty good year for her as she also had two other songs which placed even higher for 1986, although neither of them broke into the Top 10.



4 comments:

  1. Hi J-Canuck.

    Although I'm a bigger fan of Momoko's city pop inspired albums, like "OCEAN SIDE" and "ADVENTURE", "Say Yes" is truly a highlight among her poppy singles. It's catchy and I liked to sing it a couple of years ago when I discovered Momoko's discography.

    Thanks for the post. It reminded that I need to listen to Momoko more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm gonna have to try some of her more City Pop stuff since I've basically only known her for her aidoru tunes in the 80s. The only tune I know of hers outside of that decade is that duet with Masayuki Suzuki, "Shibuya de Go-ji".

      Delete
  2. She sung another duet with Masayuki Suzuki, "Koi no flight time" in 2008. This year is her 30th anniversary!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IMA5Yeg_Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anonymous.

      I'll have to check it out. They did a good job with "Shibuya de Go-ji".

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.