Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, March 3, 2014

trf -- survival dAnce


Yeh, Yeh, Yeh, Yeh, Yeh
Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow

I've finally got to see the official video by Avex Trax for one of trf's biggest hits tonight after almost 20 years. Reminds me of the goofy opening credits montage by The Monkees on their old 60s show.

Landing in Japan once more in late 1994 had me on the ground running to absorb the 90s technopop-dance craze brought by trf. I actually heard "Boy Meets Girl" by these guys in the last number of months before I left Canada, but it wasn't until I finally got onto the other side of the Pacific that I realized how big they had become.

"Survival dAnce" was actually the single that preceded "Boy Meets Girl", trf's 6th to be exact, that was released in May 1994. Those two songs were just part of that Tetsuya Komuro(小室哲哉) wave that crashed onto my aural shores throughout the next several months as they and Namie Amuro(安室奈美恵) conquered the charts and the television sets for their Svengali. "Survival dAnce" was just another catchy earworm that enticed me to finally get their million-seller 4th album, "Billionaire" that was released just a couple of months later. And it didn't do too shabbily on its own either, also crashing through the million barrier and becoming the group's 1st Oricon No. 1; four more were in the offing.



The Tetsuya Komuro-penned song would become the 7th-ranked song for 1994. And it also became a theme song for two different shows on Fuji-TV in 1994 and 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.