Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Chiemi Hori -- Come On! Love Machine ~ Kanashimi no Parade (哀しみのパレード)


Years ago when a bunch of us young folks decided to spend a Friday night carousing at the CN Tower, there was some sort of fortune telling machine which spit out pieces of paper. Basically, it was a very willing fortune cookie. What provided the big laugh of the night was when my slip came out and it said "You are a LOVE MACHINE!!" If irony was truly iron, then my slip would have affected the local gravity.


Well, after years knowing about the most famous "Love Machine"(LOVEマシーン)by Morning Musume(モーニング娘。), I recently found out that there had been another aidoru tune with those two words included. This was "Come On! Love Machine ~ Kanashimi no Parade" (Sad Parade) by 80s aidoru Chiemi Hori(堀ちえみ). It was a track on Hori's 9th album "Yume no Tsuzuki"(夢の続き...The Dream Continues)released in December 1985.

Written by veteran lyricist Yoshiko Miura(三浦徳子)and made by veteran composer Kisaburo Suzuki(鈴木キサブロー), it's not quite the disco anthem that Morning Musume's "Love Machine" is, but perhaps a slight cut-above-the-average aidoru tune with a pleasant rolling beat somewhat reminiscent of a middle-of-the-road American pop song from that same decade. Plus, perhaps it's my imagination but Hori seems to be channeling even bigger aidoru Seiko Matsuda(松田聖子).

I wouldn't say that it's a timeless number but considering that I never got to know Hori all that well during her aidoru days, "Come On! Love Machine" has given me a kick in the shins to let me know that she did have her nice songs in her discography. Certainly nothing so ironic as my fortune slip at the CN Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.