Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, September 7, 2026

Yuko Kawamura -- Kodoku na Runner(孤独なランナー)

 

I see that those marathons are still taking place at the Metro Zoo in Toronto. Over forty years ago, I actually ran a couple of those in successive years as a high school student. Yes, it's hard to believe, but I, J-Canuck, did something healthy by training and then running what was actually half-marathons. Those were still enough to nearly kill me.

Jogging was starting to become a thing sometime in the mid to late 1970s as I recall, and I guess that may have also been true in Japan according to this song by Yuko Kawamura(川村ゆうこ). Compared to her cool and refreshing debut single "Kaze ni Naritai"(風になりたい)from April 1976, her second single "Kodoku na Runner" (Lonely Runner) which was released later in September is a bit more jaunty as if the song itself were on its own jog in the countryside. In terms of tempo, I'd probably put it above a languid folk tune but not quite at the same level as an upbeat aidoru song. Kawamura is a songwriter but this time, "Kodoku na Runner" was handled by lyricist Takashi Matsumoto(松本隆), composer Katsuo Ono(大野克夫)and arranger Mitsuo Hagita(萩田光雄). Her first two singles were placed onto her debut album, released in November, "Konna ni Sora ga Aokute wa"(こんなに空が青くては...For the Sky to Be This Blue).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.