Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Motoyoshi Iwasaki & WINDY -- Kimi ga Nokoshita Natsu(君が残した夏)/Kaze no Station(風のStation)


Back to the 9/10ths of the iceberg as I have found another pop group that I hadn't known about until sometime in the last few months.

According to J-Wiki, Motoyoshi Iwasaki & WINDY(岩崎元是&WINDY)was a band that had a brief time in the sun in 1986~1987. Led by singer-songwriter and guitarist Iwasaki, WINDY consisted of keyboardist Naohiro Inaba(稲葉直弘), drummer Kazunori Seki(関和則)and bassist Yoshihito Muranaka(村中義仁). Altogether, two original albums and four singles came from the group, with a 2012 box set being released titled "The all songs of WINDY".

(26:57)

"Kimi ga Nokoshita Natsu" (The Summer You Left Behind) is the B-side for Iwasaki & WINDY's 3rd single "Maru de Tenshi no You ni"(まるで天使のように...Just Like An Angel) which came out in April 1987. Although I saw an entry for the band in the book "Japanese City Pop", I think I would place this sunny song as simply a nice slice of summery pop, not really in the City Pop or AOR genres. Composed by Iwasaki and written by Toyohisa Araki(荒木とよひさ), this was how I was introduced to the band's works and if I'm not mistaken, I think I heard it on Van Paugam's radio (glad that it and New J-Channel's radio are both back up and running). I guess I can say that it's a skippier type of Omega Tribe(オメガトライブ)...not so much by the beach but perhaps on a sun-dappled town road.


I actually found this one by Iwasaki & WINDY earlier tonight and liked it so much that I decided to feature it here as well. "Kaze no Station" (Windy Station) is a track on the band's first album "Heart Wash" from August 1986, and this track is quite a bit more dramatic with some snap to Seki's drumming and the arrangements taking things deeper into the city with added sax appeal. I think Iwasaki sounds rather similar to Kiyotaka Sugiyama(杉山清貴)and Yasuhiro Abe(安部恭弘)but surrounded by a Junichi Inagaki(稲垣潤一)love song. "Music Avenue" put it best when kaz-shin remarked that this would have made for a good number to put into a Japanese TV drama during the 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.