Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Tatsuhiko Yamamoto -- Yume yori Kurushiku(夢より苦しく)


Eating by yourself in a pretty classy restaurant? Not the most comfortable situation...believe me, I've been there. It's one thing to have dinner at a ramen restaurant or a McDonalds where solitary dining is common. But at a place that offers fine dining where it's considered appropriate to have at least one other person with you? I did get my fair share of stares.


That seems to be the topic of "Yume yori Kurushiku" (More Painful Than A Dream) by City Pop prince Tatsuhiko Yamamoto(山本達彦). Etsuko Kisugi(来生えつこ)provided the lyrics of the hard and lonely experience while Yamamoto composed the urbane and breezy melody that I could consider to be Sad Steely Dan. It's a cool song regardless as long as I don't linger too much on the lyrics...brings back too many memories.


"Yume yori Kurushiku" is a track on Yamamoto's 10th album "Music" which was released in June 1984 according to J-Wiki (although iTunes states that it came out in December 1987). The album managed to get as high as No. 6 on Oricon. I don't have "Music" but luckily, the song is part of his BEST compilation "70s & 80s BEST" which came out in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.