Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

POLYSICS -- I My Me Mine


As much as I compare Yellow Magic Orchestra with Germany's Kraftwerk, I see the band POLYSICS as being alongside Devo. Weird and quirky and fun and more musically rock than pop, I think that the band members for the former got their orange jumpsuit idea from the latter.


"I My Me Mine" is a track on their 2005 7th album "Now is the Time!" which is a short-but-sweet sonic glass of OJ. Written and composed by band member Hiroyuki Hayashi, yep, the song evokes a lot of those Devo memories again with those instruments that sound like kazoos on steroids, along with a most happy recorder. And the lovely thing is that there are two video versions of the song. The above is known as the All-Star Version, featuring among all of the people there, a 10-year-old robot-dancing powerhouse known as Strong Machine 2(ストロングマシン2号).


Strong Machine 2, aka Mao Murakami(村上真魚), had already come up with a dance for the entire song, so the powers-that-be were generous enough to create a video featuring just her titled as the Strong Machine 2 version.


"I My Me Mine" was also used as the theme song for "Takeyama Sensei?"(竹山先生?), a TV Tokyo variety show starring Cunning Takeyama(カンニング竹山)who I saw as being one of the "angrier" tarento out there. The above has Takeyama actually learning some dancing from Strong Machine 2 and her father, Strong Machine 1, who just happens to be a priest at Myouon-ji Temple(妙音寺)in Gunma Prefecture.

"Now is the Time!" peaked at No. 27 on Oricon.


Now in her early 20s, Strong Machine 2 is still dancing away with her Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.