Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 3, 2019

AKB48 Team B - Temo Demo no Namida (てもでもの涙)

Happy New Year 2019.  I wish everybody good health and prosperity this year.

First article of 2019.  Nothing special though.  I suddenly remember this song that I encountered some years ago when I was frantically searching for AKB48 videos on YouTube.  And I decide to write about it.

I signed up for Beginning Japanese at Foothill College around 2010.  There was a young student from Hong Kong watching a girl group during break.  As I wrote in my previous articles, I was still living in Showa era in terms of Japanese music and I didn't know anything about the new music scene at that time.  So I asked him what he's watching, and he said "AKB48".  I think he also mentioned his favorite was Atsuko Maeda (前田敦子), who was the "lead" in the group.

Like any good student, I googled.  Of course, a few clicks later led me to hits like Heavy Rotation, Ponytail and ShuShu etc.   I'm not an idol fan, I said to myself.  Okay, Akina was an idol, but she's different, okay :)  I kind of ignored AKB at that time but kept their name in mind.  I mean, how can I even get their name off my sight in the next 5-6 years when they became the hottest thing in Japanese music, at least in terms of sales.  And by the way, I ended up buying one song from iTunes Japan, Sakura no Ki ni Narou (桜の木になろう) , my favorite of AKB48.  And oh, one more, Sho Nichi (初日) , which is another favorite but I don't own yet.  But I digressed...

I forgot when but when I was on YouTube one day, I saw this song title that looks interesting, Temo Demo no Namida, and it means......nothing.  That caught my attention (advertisers who want to target me, take notice) and so I clicked and listened.  It has a very familiar melody reminiscent of the 80s, or event 70s.  The dance was also interesting, typical early AKB stuff.  I think what's intriguing to me is the interactions between the 2 girl singers.  Like Wink, there's a certain kind of mystery.

A few google search later, I finally understand what the title means.  In the chorus, there're these 2 lines:
Kona ni Aitaku Temo (こんなに会いたくても)  
No matter how much I want to meet you 
Kona ni Suki Demo (こんなに好きでも)
No matter how much I love you 
 And in another chorus section, we have these 2 lines:
Kona ni Kanashiku Temo (こんなに悲しくても)
No matter how sad it'll be
Kona ni Dame Demo (こんなにだめでも
No matter how inadequate I am for you
And so the song title is just formed by the conjunctions "Temo" and "Demo" in the chorus, plus the word Namida (涙), for tears.

The song is about a teenage girl (middle-school/high-school) who broke up with her first love (maybe in the same school).  She was waiting for him at the 2nd intersection on the boy's way home (stalker again?).  It was raining.  The boy just passed by without noticing her.  She wanted to call him but was too afraid.  Tears were coming from her eyes, as if it rained on her cheeks.  Unable to do anything, she watched him from afar, buried with nostalgic memories as well as her loving thought towards him.

Music was composed by Sachiko Terahata (寺畑早知子), and of course, like any other AKB48 songs, lyrics was written by Yasushi Akimoto (秋元康) (It used to be that ALL AKB48 songs' lyrics were written by him but I don't know if it's still true these days).

Temo Demo no Namida was never released as a single or in any AKB best album.  However, you can find it in this special album Team B 3rd Stage: Pajama Drive.

I am not an AKB48 expert but from what I've read on J-Wiki, it was a song that AKB48 Team B performed on stage during their live performances.  As such, it has been performed by different pairs of AKB Team B members.  Here're 2, one performed by Yuki Kashiwagi (柏木由紀) and Rena Kato (加藤玲奈), and another by Rina Ikoma (生駒理奈) and Ayane Suzuki (鈴木絢音).  The latter is actually Nogisaka46 (乃木坂46), and Rina was an original AKB48 Team B member.  I wonder if they have to get "permissions" from current Team B beforehand :)  Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Hello, Larry.

    The first time that I had become aware of AKB48 was when I was walking in Akihabara one afternoon and saw one of those campaign trucks pass by with the huge sign showing their logo and a few aidorus together. Then, some time later on TV, I saw the group performing en masse on the stage, and wondered whether the stage underneath them was properly reinforced. Those were a lot of young ladies dancing there!

    "Temo Demo no Namida" has plenty of drama and I think even the clothes that the duo wears in the first video has that feeling of a decade gone past. I could imagine the girl in this situation suddenly running away in tears with one arm shielding her eyes. Probably some of the fans in the audience were pleading "NO! NO! Don't run away! I am available!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and your story about AKB48. I went to Oomomo with my Mom today. It has better variety than Daiso in San Francisco. Also, Ikimonogakari's Sakura was playing while we're shopping :)

      Delete
    2. Good to hear that you and your mother were able to have a good time at Oomomo. Hope you were able to get your share of snacks there. Always nice to hear some of the J-Pop on the speakers.:)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.