Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Hiroshi Suzuki -- Romance


Went outside for a brief walk this morning to encounter the above scene. The photo doesn't even capture the really gusty winds launching ice crystals into my face like spears. Larry, you have experienced this but for the rest of my fellow current collaborators on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", this is my February! By the time this day is out, there should be another 10~15 cm of snow on the ground. Somewhere, a groundhog has just earned its pay for the year.


Along with the inclement weather and the various job demands on me this week, there's been a feeling of a burden on my shoulders, so I will start off today's session of "Kayo Kyoku Plus" with something nice and mellow. I discovered this fusion piece "Romance" from trombonist Hiroshi Suzuki's(鈴木弘)1975 album "Cat".

There's not a whole lot of information on Suzuki aside from the fact that he moved to the United States in 1971 and has considered his base to be Las Vegas from then on. However, he did come back to Japan briefly to meet up with his old jazz buddies from their combo Freedom Unity to come up with "Cat". Although there is also the title track, I think "Romance" also has some feline elements in how the beat pads along cautiously, and even has a feeling of some good rich coffee with cream.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! My Mom text me this afternoon and told me that it's still super cold. This is end of Feb! "Enjoy" Toronto's winter while you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Larry.

      Yes, -15 degrees C as I write this. But it's looking quite nice out there with the new blanket of snow and the sun out. However, I think most of us are really hoping for spring to be here within the next few weeks.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.